Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Compliment for the Capital City

Today was a historic day in the District. I began my day around 6:00 AM heading out to the polls to cast my vote for Barack Obama and Joe Biden. I was so excited to see a line around the block when I got to the Murch School. I was in line at 6:30 and waited anxiously as they opened the polls at 7:00 AM. I met a single mom in line who moved here from New York City. I enjoyed talking with her about the feeling we both shared - this was a memorable moment in our lives and in our city.

As people rounded the corner to see the long lines they cheered. They never sighed. I heard exclamations of "Wow, this is incredible! How cool is this?" I also saw tons of buttons and stickers for Barack Obama. I snapped a few pictures which I will include in this post at a later date.

As I left the polling station, I stopped and looked back and had to smile. My city, my capital city made me proud this morning - job well done DC! Thank you for turning out in masses and making me wait in line. On any other day this would be a capital complaint, but today - you get a compliment. Bravo!

No comments: