Sunday, June 22, 2008

Subalaptiscopalian - My DC 'Hoodprint




I am a big fan of the Washington City Paper. This week's issue is by far one of my favorites as it features a breakout of the District's neighborhoods with borders redrawn according to their reputation, their population and of course, their foundation. After reading a few pages into it, I was in tears laughing. I tried to read it cover to cover, but of course, I was impatient and cheated. I jumped straight to where I live, which according to DC City Paper is referred to as Subarubia.
I laughed out loud, as I knew exactly what they were talking about.

How often have I cursed at the Subaru Outback's with the bike racks driving down Wisconsin Avenue on a Sunday afternoon? We all know them, the "I just biked Rock Creek Park and now I have to fill my mud stained Outback with groceries from Whole Foods." They have priorities after all. Kashi cereal, odwalla juice, organic friendly bags...it is a lifestyle, I get it. Don't always respect it, but I get it. For the record, I own a Honda, which I don't drive...ever. Even before the gas price hikes, I rarely drove my car. Still don't really drive. So I am just as green as you are, if not greener. I am proud of my very small carbon footprint.

But back to the 'hoods...similar to my eclectic tastes, I am not limited to one 'hood. Although I am rooted in Subarubia, I am often in Laptopia (where I am actually writing this blog post - how fitting) and even spend a few nights a week in Episcopalia.
So does that make me a Subalaptiscopalian (Play on that annoying AT&T commercial)?

One thing I do love about this city, is with every walk I take, I continue to discover how diverse it is. I explore the Land of the Lofts one weekend and then pick out a house in C-Spanistan the next weekend. I occasionally head down to Fannypackistan to take in the sights, all which remind me why this is one of my favorite cities after all. Just the other day, I discovered the Sixth and I Synagogue. What a beautiful building. I actually saw a concert there. It was a great venue and an amazing show.

Come on, you have to admit, when you drive across the memorial bridge on a clear night and see the Lincoln, Washington and Jefferson illuminated in spotlight, it takes your breath away. That is one of the reasons I always insist on picking up friends from Ronald Reagan National Airport when they arrive at night. Just so we can drive the parkway and cross that bridge and get their reaction as they are welcomed into the Nation's Capital by our sights and sounds. I also give a great night tour of the monuments. It is my signature service for family and friends visiting DC.

I look forward to discovering the additional sections of the city and until then, this issue of the DC City Paper will be my Fodors Guide. I wonder if they make a pocket edition?

Till next time.

No comments: