Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Do You Line Up on a City Block?

This is a blog entry for all those Commuter Bus people. I walked through the city today, because it is so nice out - did it really reach 71 degrees today? Are we still challenging Gore's concerns? I digress.

I was walking down L street and noticed a line of people, all the way down the block. I followed the line, curious as to what was at the other end. Strangely enough, it led to a gentlemen reading a book while standing on a street grate. I thought to myself, this is odd. Then, I looked to see all the people in line peering down the road hoping to see something come around the corner or past the next intersection. I realized that these are what we call the commuter bus people. I guess their bus was late, way late. They were pissed. Humming and hawing and throwing their arms up in the air. I had to laugh.

Do you commuter bus people ever feel silly standing in the middle of the city waiting for your bus to come? I hope not, because you are doing a good thing by taking this transportation option. Please don't take my laughter as criticism. I applaud you for your dedication to efficiency and to the environment. And if you want, you can just pass my laughter on to those people who you see sitting in their cars on the beltway when you are passing them in the HOV lanes.

In all honesty, I hope that this commute option gets you home faster than most, or that you are able to get a ton of work done on the bus. I hear you can't talk on them though and no cell phones. Man, I wish we had this option on the city buses. Just the other day there was a gentleman who had an entire conversation on his cell phone...which was on speaker! We all shot him horrible looks, but he just did not get it. Same goes for those push-to-talk losers. Beep! Beep Beep! I have two words for you - BEEP THIS!

Well, it is getting cold and I stopped at a Starbucks to write this entry. Time to go out and wait for my bus. I hope when you all drive by - once you get on your bus - that you don't laugh at me standing there waiting and peering for that big red, white and blue beast that is the city bus. Safe travels!

No comments: