Friday, August 10, 2007

Who Decides The Code Red?

Do you ever wonder who gets the decision authority to declare a code orange or code red day in the Nation's Capital? Is it the weather man? Is it the mayor? Is it a health official? I just want to know who I can send a thank you note to when I get a free ride on the bus or a free ride on the metro. Of course, a free ride on the bus comes with drawbacks - namely everyone takes the bus. Thank goodness I get a seat early in the commute, because otherwise I wouldn't not be happy about standing face to armpit with someone trying desperately not to fall with every touch of the break pedal. No, instead I get there early, get a seat and read the paper all the way home while people fight their way to the back of the bus - "Can you please move down?"

Although the other day, there was this guy who had a huge umbrella. You know the type that look like jousting sticks. He was listening to his iPod and with every beat of his music he would pound the tip of his umbrella on the floor of the bus. Well, it drove me absolutely batty! I turned around and shot him several looks that said, "Cut it out!" He was clueless and had no idea. He continued to do it until the bus driver got pissed and stopped the bus to ask him to stop. Of course, the man did not hear him because he had his iPod earbuds in his head. Finally some woman tapped him and got his attention. The bus driver explained to him that every time he would pound his umbrella on the floor, the driver would think there was something wrong with the bus and it was making that noise. So, the idiot stopped. I was able to enjoy the rest of my code red bus trip all the way to NW D.C.

No comments: