Saturday, December 5, 2009

DC's First Snowfall & My JetBlue Blues




So I woke up this morning to snow falling outside my window. It was also my first day of vacation. Normally snow would not bother me, but as I looked closer to see bigger flakes, I grew concerned. I grumbled, "How will this impact my travel plans?"

Using my handy dandy iPhone with flight track pro and tripit, I checked flight status. So far so good. I continued to pack and prepared to drive to the airport.

When I got to Dulles I could see there wasn't anything landing or taking off. Not a good start to my vacation. Then I had to wait in the long term lot for a bus.



It only got worse when I entered the security screening area to see they only had two lanes open.

I stared at the disney like line that wrapped around at least four times. People grew anxious, afraid of missing their flights. I made it through security but only after nearly being strip searched.

Words of advice for frequent travelers - don't wear North Face convertible pants/shorts when traveling unless you want to be screened excessively by TSA. The zippers throughout make for a very uncomfortable pat down in a very public venue.

So after I got all my clothes back on I proceeded to the gate only to see this:



Yep there was a temporary ground stoppage at Dulles. Thank God for Five Guys at the terminal.

Well now we are on our way and only a few hours late. Still on the other end of this long trip is some beach, somewhere with my name written in the sand.

Thankfully the staff on JetBlue are pretty awesome and made the trip pretty easy once we were airborne. And just to remind me what a small world it is - one of the flight attendants actually knows some of my friends in South Africa. Isn't travel just crazy? Till next time.

- Posted from an iPhone

No comments: