Monday, November 19, 2007

Invader Joes

I am not usually responsible for grocery shopping in my household. I occasionally visit one of the three "S"afeway stores in the area. Yes, I am referring to the Secret Safeway, the Soviet Safeway and the Social Safeway, all in NW DC. It is usually a rather brief encounter. I go in, grab a coke or water or candy and I am out of there.

Last Christmas I received a Trader Joes gift card from a friend of mine. I have heard a great deal about this place, Trader Joes. I see the bags around town and the occasional freezer meal they make when one of my co workers have them for lunch.

So, a few months ago, I decided to venture out and try out the crunchy granola grocery store known as Trader Joes. I heard they opened one up new George Washington University. So, I ventured down on the bus and walked into this latest Trader Joes. What I encountered blew my mind.

I thought I had stepped into a scene from Jumanji or Night at the Museum. It was like there had been a riot for all things organic. I couldn't even walk through the store without bumping in to someone fighting over wasabi peas or tofurkey. The aisles were jammed. I walked through trying to get a glimpse of what everyone was so perplexed with in this place. I didn't even understand the languages being spoken. It was a mix of yuppy and grundgy with a spice of organica!

Eventually, my crowd barometer spiked and I found myself peeling myself out of the crowd and running for the exit. As I escaped the clutches of these grape nut patrons, I took a breath of D.C. downtown air. I looked back and stared with confusion. I asked myself - "What is the attraction?"

Trader Joes? More like Invader Joes! I haven't been back yet. I may give it a few months before I try again. I wonder how long the gift card will last.


No comments: