Sunday, November 11, 2007

Bums in Bethesda?

I am sorry, did I miss the memo? Was there some sort of announcement put out that all bums from NW DC should jump on the metro and ride a few stops until they reach the "first stop in the State of Maryland?" The other day, while running errands in Bethesda, I thought I would stop in the Barnes & Noble on Woodmont Avenue. I was surprised to see about seven bums along Woodmont Ave. picking through the garbage cans and sitting on the outdoor tables.

I find it hard to believe that that Soccer Moms of Bethesda and the latte sipping ladies of the area would let this situation develop. Doesn't this fly in the face of the image of Woodmont Avenue? I would be curious to see if these seven or eight new residents of the road stick around through a Saturday night, when the restaurants are teaming and the gossip is flowing down the streets. Heck, if I were on the hungry side and lacked a place to stay, I would camp out in Bethesda too. Chances are when you get handed a doggie bag out of the goodness of someones heart, you get to finish off the leftovers of a fine cuisine overpriced meal.

I would be curious to see if there is a flight of the bums over to the Clarendon area as well? They have some nice restaurants, don't they?

No comments: