Tuesday, March 11, 2008

We Have a Truancy/Curfew Patrol?

Monday morning I was walking to the post office to mail some long overdue letters. As I walked down Wisconsin Avenue I saw a brand new DC Metropolitan Police van. I initially thought it was for cadets and training. I was shocked to see that on the side of the van was written - Truancy/Curfew Patrol. I had to laugh. I don't know if I am happy or not with my tax money going to pay for law enforcement to round up underage kids staying out too late or deciding to skip school. Is this a new initiative by Mayor Fenty to get our kids back to school? Perhaps it is an attempt to keep kids out of trouble and get them home for some parental influence more often. What exactly happens when you are picked up by the truancy/curfew police I wonder? Do you just get a free ride home? Not a bad option if it is really cold out and you don't want to wait for the metro or bus. Of course, maybe there is a ticket that comes along with the penalty. Imagine getting dropped off by the police at your door and walking in to hand your mother a ticket for missing curfew. That would not have gone over well in my family. Anyone have any idea how this whole Truancy/Curfew policy works in DC? Next time I go into buy a coffee and see all the bratty high school kids in a cluster I just might have to threaten calling the truancy police. Reminds me of that scene from Speed with Sandra Bullock nearly runs over those kids because she can't stop the bus. After a near miss she yells, "WHY AREN'T YOU IN SCHOOL?!" My sentiments exactly Ms. Bullock.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

STAY ON OR GET OFF... STAY ON OR GET OFF... OFFICER! haha That movie is so funny